Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Indie Travel - Travel....in one word

What does travel mean to you in one word?  


ALIVE


That's my one word. Any kind of travel, I feel alive. Even on a little weekend trip across my own state. I am more conscious of the environment, of my body, of what I say to others, my emotions.....in other words I feel more alive. Interestingly I also think about death more, how sad I will feel one day, to say good-by to all of this. To leave the people I love, to say good-by to sight and color, to no longer hear music, to end my existence on this planet. 


Lots of people believe there's a beyond. I don't. It's not an empty awful feeling to think there's nothing beyond this. It's not the end of hope or depressing. It makes NOW more important because someday there won't be a now, for me anyway. And if they are right and I am wrong, then there will be NOW beyond this life, and I'll deal with it the same way I deal with this life, with intense attention and as much love and joy as I can muster. 


Some people say I'll be in hell and it'll be horrible for all of eternity. Makes you wonder if they have ever really thought about how long eternity is. And why on earth they would believe a God can be all love, have created this incredibly beautiful world, and yet hate so viciously that he/she would condemn someone to pain for all of eternity? It makes no sense to me. If that is the kind of God that's out there, then I am a better person than God, because I'd never do that to anyone, for any reason whatsoever.  


Clearly I'm not a better person than God, so the God most people believe in can't possibly be the real God. That's my logic, and I'm sticking to it. 


Thanks to having traveled, I'm not stuck in a little mind-frame about God, the nature of people, or reality. That's not to say I have it all figured out, I'm just not stuck in my own thinking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment